World Minded: Anca Cretu

I was raised with the idea that the most important aspect of life is education. I knew from an early age I would want to attend higher education in the United States, after all I believe that the US has the best education system not to mention my own father received a Master’s degree from New York University.  I must confess, however, that I had never heard of William & Mary until I was a teenager and met an American professor working in Romania. He told me I should strongly consider W&M, and once I did some research I became attracted to the idea of a smaller environment focused on academics. That was really all I knew about the College when I applied, so I would say I definitely was flying blind at the beginning of this adventure but it worked out perfectly!

I loved life at William & Mary, the sense of community was a unique experience for me. I really enjoyed how people were enthusiastic to see you on campus, and that professors and students were able to create strong bonds. I definitely call some of my former professors friends now. I used to get a cup of coffee and just sit on a terrace or on a bench and watch all the different people hanging out together and having a laugh.

Of course I had some difficulties with deciding to study in a foreign country. I had to take science classes with labs, for example, not something I would have necessarily encountered in Romania – and I found out that even the calculators are different in the United States! I also had to get used to learning in a different language. That was a general struggle. I always received my papers back with “wordy” or “awkward” written on them in my first year. I also had to become used to multiple choice exams, which required a whole new way to study. These were difficulties I had to work through for myself, and by the end of my time at W&M I just told myself that everything I achieved would be the best I could do at that particular moment. I never put myself down for anything I did in college, and looking back on it I wouldn’t trade my time at William & Mary for the world.

Anca Cretu was born and raised in Bacau, Romania. She graduated from William & Mary in 2011 with a B.A. in History and European Studies. She now studies International History and Politics at The Graduate Institute of International Studies and Development, Geneva, Switzerland.

This entry was posted in Alumni Post, World Minded. Bookmark the permalink.