World Minded: Kevin Tabatabai

I had just turned 16 when I came to the United States in 1999 as an exchange student. I was only supposed to stay for my junior year of high school but ended up enjoying it so much that, with my parents’ approval, I decided to stay for my senior year as well. My exchange program actually placed me in Gloucester, Virginia, a small town right across the river from Williamsburg, so I ended up attending Gloucester High School. Through my close proximity, I quickly realized that William & Mary was not only one of the most prestigious and historical colleges in the country, but also one of the best liberal arts schools nationwide. It was basically a no-brainer for me to apply to W&M, knowing that I would be receiving a quality education along with many bright individuals, including my best friend from high school.

William & Mary was the only college to which I applied. I was fortunate to receive my early decision letter of admission December 1, 2000, a day I still remember fondly. During my time at the College I formed many valuable friendships that have only grown stronger, and, even though my friends from those days are dispersed all over the world, I am still close to many of them. Being a student at W&M came with a lot of studying and hard work, but I still found plenty of time to enjoy a plethora of ultimate Frisbee games in the Sunken Gardens, countless rounds of Frisbee golf, any number of intramural soccer games, and endless Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers competitions that would take us through entire nights.

During my time in Williamsburg I learned a lot during lectures, but I also gained many insights and received countless valuable lessons at my job with campus IT. My boss Jeff Jolly, Scott Fenstermacher, and Clark Morledge were instrumental in aiding my well-rounded education. Plus I got to ride around in a golf cart on campus for four years, which was pretty sweet! All in all, I have to say that I am very fortunate to be a W&M alumnus and I always feel a sense of pride when telling people where I went to school. 

Kevin Tabatabai was born and raised in Germany. He graduated from William & Mary in 2005 with degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics. Recently Kevin co-founded SocialVents, a location-based, visual events search engine, with fellow ‘05 alum Alex Santos.

This entry was posted in Alumni Post, World Minded. Bookmark the permalink.