COPENHAGENIZATION!!

Tonight I attended a lecture titled “Copenhagenization.”  It was the first of five Climate Seminars that DIS holds at Studenterhuset (the student union), which is conveniently located around the corner from my house.   The speaker was Mikael Colville-Andersen, founder of Copenhagenize Design Co.  This idea of Copenhagenization involves urban planning, psychology, and sustainability all functioning together to produce smarter cities.  In Copenhagen, the word has become most associated with the bike-friendly nature of the city.  While walking (or biking) around Copenhagen, it is very evident that thought, money, and planning have gone into making biking a comfortable, safe, and practical mode of transportation. This idea is being spread to cities all over the world. Go Copenhagen!

In other news, our first Green House dinner was tonight.  We rotate who cooks each week.  This week it was some delicious frittata and spaghetti squash we got from the food co-op.  We discussed different organizations we want to get involved in or projects we want to undertake as members of the Green House. I am still deciding what direction I want to take.

ALSO, I am honored to have been selected as a DIS student blogger for the semester!  You can check out the cool new logo addition on my homepage that tells you I’m legit.  After being accepted as a student blogger, I actually shared the link with my parents (who promptly sent it to like every member of my family that has ever heard of me…)

Here’s the table all set and ready for our first Green House dinner

*Reprinted with Tracy’s permission from her blog, CWTOCPH

304470_3739877010678_1908533954_n-e1357715665956Tracy Brinkerhoff ’14 is spending her Spring 2013 semester in Copenhagen, Denmark.  She is an English major and an Economics minor with a strong interest in sustainability.  I enjoy a chai latte, a good novel, and a warm cat.  I can’t imagine what my life would be like without dance.  I’m a member of Orchesis Modern Dance Company and Chi Omega Sorority.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.